No announcement yet.

{The List} - Game Atmosphere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ditto what Arrian and Zargon said, being able to name areas would be so helpful in MP/Demo games.

There is one mountain I wish I could name right now in a Civ 3 Demo game for reasons that shall remain classified
    *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

"The formerly ferrous peak" from the PWTDGII?

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

More on City Names

partly based on old posts of mine

recycle city names by adding north, south, east, or west appropriately for cities adjacent to the city with the root name when you run out of city names. You can add the compass directions to farther cities if the root city is important. Add New for new cities distant from root city, particularly when settling a new landmass. Possibly sometimes base a city name on the city that built the settler.

Have a core city list and a larger list of less important or later cities. The core list can be set mainly for the first era of the game. In the second age new cities can come from separate lists for internal provinces.

Maybe tend to only add New to create new cities if you're still in the era the name is assigned to or the era the original city was founded.

Make the core city list long enough for every city you build on small map sizes.

Oh, and relating to my previous post, countries like Canada, Mexico, and Australia can have names divided by region too.

Comment

Other city name options

be able to set and modify at any time a city build list that works like an improvement build list. Be able to set a tentative sequence, and to drag a name up or down at any time. Be able to choose from the build list, the alphabetical master list, or type in a new name on the spot. Maybe have more than one build list, so you can decide on the spot what internal province the new city will belong to, and be sure you get a chance to look at the map after you look at the name list and before you assign a name, or be able to see and scroll through the map and the name list at the same time.

Comment

food for thought

If we can trade deliberate bad maps, why not counterfit money?
            anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Why not invite the other king for a party and kill him when he's there and doesn't suspect anything? This was quite common among the little kings of the past...

Comment

In fact, why don't we just cripple the AI's subroutines by accessing its files directly with Python?
                "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
                -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

One thing the game could use to improve the atmosphere is music that changes depending on what's going on. This would be in addition to the era specific music. Music could change depending on if you are at peace or war. Or if you're on the offensive or defensive in such a war. Etc.
                  "Every time I have to make a tough decision, I ask myself, 'What would Tom Cruise do?' Then I jump up and down on the couch." - Neil Strauss

Comment

Leave the room for more and better programing.

I use my own mood music (mostly I uncheck music and keep sound effects)

Thanks for listening
                    anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

For the sake of the game's atmosphere, I propose an Easter egg:

Actually... for different reasons I wouldn't see anything elaborate on the subject fitting in cIV.

BUT: it would make an incredible easter egg!

Just imagine: you unlock, in some way, the possibility to continue your game on Mars. Since it's an easter egg, hilarious things can be there such as green Martians, blue Martians, super-laz guns, Elvis alive... who knows
                      Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

The music in Civ2 was quite good. Civ3 added the idea of music that progresses with ages, which is great, but it spoiled the concept by making the different pieces repetitive. Also the modern age music sucks!!!
                        In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Maybe you can switch civilizations though the eras?

Like, in the ancient era, there's only 5 civilizations (the 5 cultures), and after you expand a lot and such, your civilization changes, and ur culture splits into like 6 or 7 civilizations (specific to ur culture), then u select the civ of the culture u want, and then a portion of the culture's territory. Then u war with them and whatever and u advance to the modren era.

Comment

Maybe if you defeat all your rivals early, you can choose to do what you said with the incentive of a much higher score.

Comment

Maybe your civilization can change through time, and surviving through some others and resurrect in some form.

Maybe if you run long enough cIV will be out when you stop.
                              Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

Working...
                              X